1928 PACKARD MODEL 526, DUAL WINDSHIELD PHAETON
- Packard was founded in 1899 by James Ward Packard in Warren, Ohio. The plant was moved to Detroit in 1903.
- Packard introduced numerous innovations including the modern steering wheel and the first 12-cylinder engine.
- Packard quickly developed a following among the wealthy in the U.S. and abroad. By 1928, Packard had become the most popular luxury automobile in America and their slogan , " Ask the man who owns one" was known worldwide.
- Ironically, this car was designed and built with the idea that it be driven by a woman. Its shorter hood and smaller engine combined to make it easier to maneuver and operate than comparable automobiles.
- The fifth series would be the last six-cylinder Packard until 1937.
- The rear windshield was dealer installed to keep the wind at bay. This Packard is fitted with the touring package which includes dual tail lights, a radiator stone guard, porcelain coated steel disk wheels and fitted luggage in the trunk.
- The six cylinder engine has 288.6 cubic inches and produces 81 horsepower. It sits on a 126" wheelbase and weighs 3,950 pounds.
- Cost new: $2,425